Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Heavy Headed

I went out for another early morning run this morning. I was out the door by 6:35am. In some ways it's tough leaving when the entire house is still all tucked comfortably into their beds, snoozing away. In other ways it's kind of nice; no children to tend to, no breakfast to prepare, no one tugging at my pants and crying for me to stay. Today it was on the tougher side to leave. I was soooo sleepy. My head felt heavy as I put my shoes on and set out. My eyelids felt like they had sandbags on them attempting to push them shut. It was such a struggle to keep them open. If I hadn't been afraid of making too much noise I might have gone back in the house to scrounge up a few toothpicks to prop them open.

Oh well, it was too late for that. I was already out and had locked the door behind me. So onward I went. Today was W5D2 (8min jog, 5min walk x2). My body felt good as I ran, if only my head and eyes could have perked up. It would have been glorious. The air was cool and it was a beautiful morning to be out. I finished both intervals without any trouble. I kind of liked the fact that today's schedule only had two intervals of jogging. It seemed easier for my mind to overcome just two rounds of running vs. having to stop and start 3 or4 times. I'm still a bit nervous about this weekend's 20 minutes of continuous running. I'm going to try to play some little mind games to convince myself that it's just 1 little run. I can do it! This is what I've been working towards.

I still plan to repeat D1 or D2 depending on my mood tomorrow. That will provide me with another chance to boost my self-esteem before taking "the big one" head on. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. I'm starting week 5 tonight, so it was nice to hear about your experiences with this week! I'm a little anxious about the 20 minute run too, but we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck tonight!! Thanks for stopping by and lending some encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also about to start week 5! I look forward to reading about how it goes for you.

    I'm really impressed with your commitment to getting up early to run! Do you eat something before you head out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Little Run Big Stretch! I pretty much figure that if I don't get up early and get it done then chances are I'll fall victim to all of my excuses later in the day. So far it seems to be working for me.

    I usually get up, change my clothes, brush my teeth, drink a little water, grab a stick of gum, and then head out the door. I choose not to eat until after I've had time to cool down. That may change someday WHEN (not "if") I'm running greater distances/longer times.

    Thanks for the question! Happy Running!

    ReplyDelete