Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My First Early Morning Run

On Monday night I decided that I would get up early in the morning so I could run before heading to work. I got my clothes out, my i-pod set to the right music, and my shoes by the door. I set my alarm for 6:22am (for some unexplainable reason I don't like to set my alarm to go off at "normal" times). I went to bed thinking positive thoughts about getting up in the morning to exercise, of all things.


Tuesday morning the alarm annoyed me right on schedule. Of course I hit the snooze button, which only buys me 4 minutes. After the 4 minutes it beckoned again. This time I turned it off, rested another minute or so and then I actually got out of bed! I proceeded to get ready and follow through with my plan to run. I was out the door at 6:35 and on my way.


As I've said before I'm loosely following the Couch to 5K program. I chose to run week 4. At first I was pretty sleepy, but was able to shake that off during the 5 minute warm-up. I jogged the first 3 minute run interval and felt pretty good. The air was a bit thick from the humidity, but I handled it. By time I got to the final 5 minute run I was feeling the effects of not getting enough sleep the night before. About half-way through it I walked for roughly 30 seconds and then picked the pace back up to finish.


Despite the brief unscheduled walk, I did it!! I completed my first early run! I was so proud of myself and felt pretty good all day. I was even happier with the fact that I didn't have to worry all day about when I would be able to sqeeze in my run. I will definitely be doing some more early runs. It may be tough to get out of bed and get going, but it was so worth the payoff in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment