Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ups and Downs

Isn't it funny how one day you can complete a run and feel so great and the next day you finish and want to hang your head?!? What's up with that? After my run on Tuesday nothing could bring me down. I was in the zone and feeling stellar. When I got home I showered, got the kids dressed and on their way with my super, amazing sister/babysitter. That left me with some time to unload/reload the dishwasher, clean up the kitchen, and even do some dinner prep. Then at 9am I was out the door and headed to work. Talk about productive.

On the other hand there was yesterday's run. I completed it as per the program (jogged when I was supposed to, walked when I was supposed to, and didn't stray from it at all). I had some moments when I thought maybe I wouldn't complete it, but I DID! I did it just like I was supposed to but yet for some reason that wasn't enough. I was overly focused on future runs and whether or not I thought I could complete those. Sure, I may have felt rough in the moment but it wasn't like I was supposed to run an additional 25 minutes from that point in time. All I needed to do was put one foot in front of the other and finish the task at hand (which only amounted to several minutes longer).

Long story short, there will be ups and downs as I go through this journey and even after I complete it. So what! I need to put the "downs" behind me and move forward. The past is just that...the PAST! Instead of focusing on what I think I can't do I will do my best to concentrate on all of the great things I have done and will do. Overall, I have made great progress and feel fantastic about all of my accomplishments. I feel more confident in my personal life too. I may not have lost a bunch of weight, but I'm actually feeling pretty good about myself again. That alone is worth a ton!

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." --Eleanor Roosevelt


Let's have fun and keep going! Happy running!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement, I finished todays run really feeling down. We can and will do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! We can and WILL do this (even if it takes a few extra weeks and some setbacks along the way). We can't let anything get us down! Keep your head up and continue to put one foot in front of the other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why should running be any different from the rest of life? Some days will be better than others. At least you're getting up and getting out the door. More power to you for persevering through the run even went you weren't feeling in the zone. Keep up the good work mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know whatcha mean about the ups and downs. I think that (for me) it's normal for week 6 to be somehow challenging (anti-climactic or tough) after the thrill of the 20-minute run.

    I've listened to Carli's podcasts this week, after you recommended them - thanks! So far, I especially like the tunes she picks near the end of the runs.

    ReplyDelete